Now that daylight savings has come and gone, and spring has officially arrived, we are so ready for spring blooms and sunny skies. And with warmer temps and longer days, comes the inevitable spring cleaning. There’s something about the turn of a season that motivates us to clean house!
If the thought of shaking out the dust of those area rugs or getting into the nitty-gritty of your baseboards makes your heart skip a beat (or gives you a minor panic attack), read on for our 10 steps to a tidier home. These tips will help give the normally neglected areas of your home (both inside and out) new life!
Spring Cleaning Areas of Focus
- Doormats: Freshen up those doormats! Hose off and air dry the ones that sit outside and give your inside doormats a good vacuum treatment. Hero tip: To trap more dust, use two mats – one outside the door and one just on the inside.
- Kitchen Sink: Other than giving your sink a good wipe down, clean the inside of it too! Put a few lemon rinds in the drain and run your garbage disposal. You’ll be shocked at the difference in odor.
- Fridge: Remove everything from your refrigerator and give those shelves and doors a good wipe down. This is also a great opportunity to throw out any old or expired food/condiments! Hero tip: Home Clean Heroes can clean your fridge for you! Ask us about this add-on service. Hint, we can clean your oven too!
- Closet: Take out anything stained, in need of repair or just plain worn out. For remaining clothing, ask yourself, when was the last time you wore an item. This is a great opportunity to make a large donation to Goodwill or other similar charities.
- Bookshelves: Okay, let’s get real. When is the last time you thoroughly cleaned your bookshelves? Remove everything from the shelves and give it a good dusting. Hero tip: Go a step further and alphabetize or coordinate reads by color, genre, etc.
- Ceilings: Get yourself an extendable duster and get to work on those ceiling moldings and ceiling fans! Bye-bye dust.
- Microwave: The microwave is another place that easily gets neglected, likely because it’s usually kept closed. To get the inside of your microwave brand spanking new again, place a large microwave-safe bowl with 1 cup of water and a chopped-up lemon, lime, or orange or several tablespoons of vinegar inside. Turn the microwave on high for several minutes or until the solution boils and the window is steamy. Then, let it sit to cool for 15 minutes before opening the door. Remove and wipe out the inside and outside with a sponge. Ta-da! Hero tip: Follow these instructions if you just can’t wait until your next service because your Heroes will clean your microwave during every clean
- Shed or Garage: It’s amazing the amount of stuff that can accumulate in these spaces, especially after the winter season! Just like your closet, remove anything that’s broken or worn out. And for the remaining items, determine what you can donate or trash! To go a step further, install some easy shelving so you can keep everything in view and organized.
- Pool: Do you have a backyard oasis? Make sure it’s opened and ready for warmer temps! If pool cleaning is not your forte, leave your pool opening to Pool Scouts. Hero tip: Those who call early, can save a little extra on their opening service.
- Patio Furniture: With warm weather almost here, make sure your outdoor furniture is ready for lounging! Add a squirt of dish detergent to a bowl of warm water and then wipe down chairs and tables. For a final touch, give it a spray of water from your hose!
And voila! You’re that much closer to being ready for spring. If you find that your indoor cleaning is just too much to take on, give Home Clean Heroes a call at 757-819-4930 and we’ll give you a free in-home estimate for your residential cleaning! We’re more than happy to take the grime-fighting off your hands. Happy spring!