The holiday season is undoubtedly one of the most magical times of the year. With the air filled with the sweet aroma of gingerbread cookies, home cooked meals, and the soft glow of twinkling lights, it’s a time when homes become cozy havens for gatherings of family and friends.
However, amidst all the festive joy and merriment, there’s often an underlying stress factor in getting your home ready. We have just the thing to help you out, an ultimate checklist to guide you through when and how to clean your home.
Make sure to download our checklist here to keep track along the way.
Your Holiday Cleaning Checklist
1 Month Before: Get Started on the Bigger Tasks
A month out from entertaining, get started with some of the larger tasks that can be easily touched up closer to when your guests arrive.
- Wipe down your door using a damp microfiber towel.
- Remove your doormat and wash or clean it thoroughly.
- Vacuum couch cushions.
- Clean and remove any stains on the cushions and carpet.
- Wipe your TV screens with a glass cleaner and a paper towel.
- Put out holiday decorations!
- Deep clean your oven with oven cleaner and a heavy-duty scrubber.
- Clean out old food in the freezer and fridge and give it a good wipe-down.
- Remove any built-up grime on your stove and countertops.
- Remove any noticeable grime and rust off your sink and faucet with a bathroom cleaner and cleaning brush.
- Give your bathroom/shower a deep clean.
- Clean bath rugs either by hand or in the washing machine.
- Remove any clutter in closets or under the bed.
- Deep clean carpets or rugs.
- Put out your holiday decorations to start the holiday season!
- Clean porch screens.
- Wipe down windows.
1 Week Before – Freshen Up!
It’s now a week out, which means there are a few more larger tasks to get done before taking care of the smaller details right before your guests arrive.
- Sweep and mop floors.
- Sweep any doormats or entry rugs.
- Dust all surfaces with a microfiber towel.
- Clean windows inside and out.
- Vacuum floors.
- Wash blankets.
- Organize the pantry and stock up on any items needed for holiday cooking.
- Wipe down cabinets and appliances.
- Vacuum and mop floors.
- Clean any special silverware and dinnerware.
- Get napkins and placemats cleaned up.
- Clean the table where you will eat.
- Make sure you have enough chairs for your guests.
- Wipe down and organize countertops.
- Clean and replace any towels.
- Sweep and mop floors.
- Clean sheets, comforters, and pillows.
- Dust blinds and fans or light fixtures.
- Sweep your porch area for any leaves and pine needles.
Day Of – Final Touches
Time to do a few last-minute touch-ups before the visitors arrive! Since you have your bigger items out of the way, you can really use this time to focus on the smaller details that will give a special touch to your space.
- Make room in the closet for your guests to hang their coats.
- Tuck away any personal items.
- Tidy up before guests arrive.
- Put on holiday music or a movie to set the mood!
- Wipe down countertops.
- Take out the trash to ensure your kitchen smells fresh.
- Stock up with extra toilet paper.
- Give the toilets a last minute wipe-down.
- Put out placemats, napkins, silverware, and plates.
- Light some candles.
Post Holiday Cleanup
Once the gatherings have subsided and your social battery is probably drained, give yourself a break and call Home Clean Heroes at 844-HEY-HERO. We’ll get your home back to clean so you can relax in your home post-holidays